Got heaps of apples hanging around going rotten? 🍏🍎🍏🍎
Maybe you’re like me with a fridge full of semi nibbled apples from children with good intentions. They never go back for the pre nibbled apple, let me tell you.
It’s totally autumn 🍁🍂here in Australia and apples are in bountiful abundance.
I whipped up this Apple Crumble with some of those pre nibbled apples and it was soooo good!
I shared it on my Instagram and Facebook page and said ‘if you want the recipe let me know and I will get it up on the blog’ and the answer was a resounding YES! Aww thanks you guys and gals for all of the lovely comments. Food is my love language and I love sharing the healing power of food, which I believe goes way beyond macro and micro nutrients but to social custom, culture, seasonal comfort and essentially – joy.
This is the third time I have made this in the last week – my family are hooked – oh no, what have I got myself into???
And yes, of course, the recipe is totally faff free.
Six apples, peeled, cored and chopped into 2cm squares
80g cashews or macadamias
80g almond meal
40g coconut sugar (or preferred granular sweetener like monk fruit, xylitol, erythritol)
1/2-1 teaspoon of cinnamon, to taste
Pinch of salt
40g chilled butter, chopped into 1cm pieces, or chilled refined coconut oil if dairy free
- Pre heat oven to 180 degrees C
- Place apple pieces in a saucepan with the water, put the lid on and gently simmer the apple for about 10 minutes, or until the apple is slightly tender – usually about the same time it takes to make the crumble.
- Roughly chop the cashews or macadamias or chop 10 sec/speed 4.5
- Add the almond meal, coconut sugar, cinnamon and salt to the cashews or macadamias and stir to combine or mix 10 sec/speed 3
- Using your fingers, rub the butter into the dry ingredients until the crumble resembles coarse breadcrumbs or remove the measuring cup and ‘rain’ in the butter through the hole 30 sec/speed 3.
- Spread the apple in the base of an 18 cm x 18cm ovenproof dish.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the apple.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until smelling amazing and golden brown, then serve with a splash of custard, yoghurt or cream.