Grain Free Hot X Buns
No need to fall off the wagon this Easter Sisters with this faff free delicious Hot X Bun recipe, you can make it in your Thermomix or regular mixer!
Hot X Buns are an excellent seasonal addition to a Primalista’s offerings and sell like the literal hot cakes they are at markets.
They really look more like muffins than buns, after all, this is grain free baking – but Primalsista Girlfriend do they taste good! Way better than any commercial super market offering in my opinion and definitely much more faff free than conventional bread making! Oh I remember the dough sticking to my hands, the Thermomix, no going back there anymore! These Hot X Buns are way easier and bonus – no bloating or brain fog afterwards – winning!
If you make them in silicon trays, they pop out easier and look less ‘muffiny‘ than they would if you used muffin liners.
Photo credit to Primalista Marisha!
- 400g almond meal
- 340g tapioca/arrowroot flour
- 2 teaspoons of GF baking powder
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of all spice
- ½ teaspoon of cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 160g sultanas
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 6 eggs
- 250ml refined coconut oil, melted
- 180g honey
- 20g almond meal
- 80g tapioca flour/arrowroot
- 50g water or enough to get fluid consistency
- Egg white and a teaspoon of water, combined
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees. Grease muffin tins.
- Measure all the ingredients into the TM bowl or mixer except the sultanas/raisins.
- Mix speed 5 20 seconds, or mix until just combined.
- Scrape down the bowl. Add sultanas/raisins and mix reverse, speed 4, 5 seconds, or gently stir in the sultanas/raisins.
- Using a tablespoon, add one heaped tablespoon of mix to muffin tins.
- To make the piping combine all the piping ingredients into TM bowl, or mixer and mix until combined speed 4, 30 seconds.
- Using a piping bag (or zip lock bag with corner snipped) pipe crosses onto buns.
- Smooth tops of buns with egg wash
- Bake for 20 mins or until lightly golden
If you would rather not charge your pantry with sixteen different ingredients, why not try out Hot Cross Bun Packet Mix?
If you love healthy baking with and would love to stay home and bake for a living, why not become a Primalista – a Primal Alternative Producer! Thermomix not essential!
Find out more here or watch this short video.