You will need:
- Loaf or cake tin
- Primal Alternative Hot Cross Bun Mix
- 2 or 3 carrots grated (about 180g)
- 90g honey or maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 125g refined (doesn’t overpower the taste) coconut oil melted
Bake your own Primal Spiced Carrot Cake
- Pre-heat your oven to 170 degrees. Grease and line your tin.
- Place the contents of the Hot Cross Bun Mix and also the contents of the piping mix sachet and sultana sachet into a bowl.
- Add grated carrot, orange zest, honey or maple syrup, melted coconut oil and 4 eggs.
- Mix gently until combined.
- Pour batter into your prepared tin.
- Bake for 45 minutes until golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted.
Best eaten warm from the oven with butter. The cake can also be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 days, or pre-slice and freeze for up to 3 months. Beautiful toasted as well!
Or, why not try it iced with:
Creamy Cashew Frosting
- 3/4 cup raw cashews, soaked 2-3 hours and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 3 tablespoons raw honey, maple syrup or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 2-4 tablespoons water, as needed for blending
- Combine the first six ingredients in a high-powered blender, and blend until smooth and creamy, adding water as necessary to facilitate blending.
- Adjust flavour to taste, then transfer to a bowl and chill in the freezer for at least an hour, to allow the icing to thicken.
- Spread over your carrot cake and serve immediately. (Store in the fridge if not eating straight away.)