Primal Alternative Tacos
By Primal Health Coach & Primal Alternative Founder, Helen Marshall.
Because life is FUN!
I reclaimed my health by ditching grains, seed oils and refined sugar and feel amazing. Those foods caused inflammation and oxidation in my body which led to a long list of digestive, mental health, energy and sleep problems.
I swapped out grains, seed oils and refined sugar and now eat: plants and animals – perfect human food.
Eating plants and animals, plants and animals, plants and animals is fine most of the time, but sometimes you just want an old favourite like Tacos!
Here at Primal Alternative we are all about recreating the foods we love with much more nutrient dense, whole food, grain free ingredients.
This means you can literally have your Taco, eat it and still feel amazing.
This means eating is fun and deprivation free – which makes it a lot easier to stick too, more of a way of life and less like a diet.
To be honest, I never really liked ‘real’ Tacos. I found them too ‘corny’ and oily and they were a bit piddly small as well. They never stood up, and always cracked when I tried to load up my filling *eye roll*.
But just the other day, I had this idea to drape our Chef Pete Evans No Nut Hemp Wraps over the bars of my oven shelves just to see if I could make a Primal Alternative to a Taco! My Dad was whipping up a batch of Chilli Con Carne (chilli with meat) so it felt like the perfect time!
The result was fantastic – seriously, so tasty! They stood up! They didn’t crack when I loaded it up with lettuce, Chilli, sour cream and coriander! There was no hint of corny-ness or oiliness and I knew I was eating clean ingredients and there weren’t any dodgy flavour enhancers in there.
It feels so much fun to create a new product with something we already have! This means we can broaden our options but it still keeps it streamlined for our awesome Primal Alternative Producers AKA Primalistas.
Why not double batch the Chilli recipe and stick some in the freezer for another night? This is our family favourite Chilli Recipe and I usually do a double batch in my stock pan. You can serve the Chilli with rice or cauliflower rice, roll it up in a Primal Alternative No Nut Hemp Wrap and have Enchiladas or have it on top of a baked potato. Budget friendly, nutritious, fun and build it yourself and eat it with your hands, total crowd pleaser. Why not try these at your next friends or family get together? Last year we had a “Build your own Burrito Party” and it was heaps of fun!
Primal Alternative Tacos
- Tablespoon of olive/coconut oil or ghee
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 600g grass fed minced beef/lamb/pork or a combination
- 1-2 teaspoons of chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons of paprika
- 3 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of ground oregano
- 3 tablespoons of tomato paste (puree)
- 1.5 cups (375ml) beef or chicken broth or water
- 1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 400g tin kidney beans, rinsed and drained (omit if legume free)
- 120g diced avocado
- 2 tomatoes finely diced
- 1 red (spanish) onion, finely diced
- 4 tablespoons of sour cream (optional, omit if dairy free)
- 3 tablespoons of roughly chopped coriander
- 3 cups of Kos Lettuce, finely sliced
- 1-2 packs of Primal Alternative No Nut Hemp Wraps
- Heat the oil or ghee in a large saucepan over a medium heat and cook the onion for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add the garlic and meat and cook, stirring to break up any lumps with the back of a wooden spoon, for 5 minutes or until the meat is browned. Stir in the chilli powder, paprika, cumin and oregano and cook for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant
- Add the tomato paste, broth or water, tomato and beans (if using) and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until thickened and cooked through. Season to taste.
- Heat oven to 180 degrees, drape the No Nut Hemp Wraps over the oven bars like shown in the picture and bake until they are firm but not too crispy. This will take about 10-15 mins, depending on your oven. Use oven gloves to remove them and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Hold the Taco in one hand and assemble by adding some lettuce, Chilli Con Carne, onion, tomato, a tablespoon of sour cream (if using) and a sprinkling of coriander.
Check out the full Primal Alternative range of breads, wraps, pizza bases, cookies, gellies and bagels with low carb and vegan options here.
Love clean living and creating? Why not become a Primal Alternative Producer and have your own business?